Where did you go to school to become a nurse?

How was your education? Did you learn more from the education or while working as a nurse?

I went to Pondville Hospital School of Nursing for my LPN TRAINING & it was hard . No computers at that time or choice questions; you memorized everything .you were asked questions that you answered in sentences no guessing…small classes & we thought we were in the service.It was really,really hard and I think about half of our small class did not make it but it was the best learning experience you could get both in the classroom & on the floors. Later I went to a large community college with huge classes very impersonal & you were just a number ; gets were pretty much choice of 3 answers so there was a lot of guessing by deduction…I did well ; received my associate degree in nursing & when I went on for my B.S. IN NURSING I just kinda floated thru.I was older & had the experience plus I think the teachers concentrated on the students that did not have any prior back ground or degrees knowing the handful of us that had our R.N. Already were seasoned .
Because I grew up in a nursing home ( my mother was the director on nurses.I had a real good background .My mother was an excellant teacher . I had a real good nursing background before my formal nursing education.

I did my first two years at UGA in Athens, GA. It helps that I am from Athens and lived there until 2002. My nursing courses were done at MCG. They have a small school for nurses in Athens.(This is all changing as a medical school is in Athens now.) My life experiences and a some common sense helped me quite a bit, I graduated when I was 30 years old. College did not prepare me for the huge responsibility of being an RN. I did well in school and studied a great deal and that helped me to have a great knowledge base that I still depend on. I learned how to use computers slowly. Also if i don't know something, I look it up. I listen to my patients. If someone looks you straight in the eye and tells you something outside statistics, it could be true. Use every resource you have, including your gut feelings.

I WENT TO SCHOOL AT E.J. MEYER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING I BUFFALO, NY. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF SCHOOL AND ALL THE LEARNING WE DID. IN THE FIRST YEAR, WE HA D TO GO FOR CLASSES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF BUFFALO FOR ANATOMY, CHEMISTRY, PHYSIOLOGY, ETC. WE LIVED IN THE DORMS AT THE MEYER BECAUSE THERE WAS NO CHARGE AND IT WAS EASIER TO GET TO SCHOOL ON TIME!!! WE HAD FUN, MADE MANY FRIENDS AND LEARNED TOGETHER AS A TEAM!!I GRADUATED IN 1976 AND STILL I AM IN NURSING. I MISS THOSE DAYS BUT NURSING IS THE BEST CAREER ONE COULD EVER HAVE!! IT IS TRUE TO USE EVERY RESOURCE AND YOUR GUT FEELINGS- SOMETIMES THE GUT IS THE BEST RESPONSE TO A SITUATION… :smile:

I went to school in Killeen Tx. The college was Central Texas College. The nursing was Military. About 80% military attended the rest of class were citizens non military which I was one. The school was Diploma Nursing. We had all the classes of BS except last year of English, History and no Phys. Ed. We were all paper, books and memorization. When Clinical began our scrubs were starched ironed and shoes (nursing not tennis) were polished. No stooping or thumbnail in the back. Dr entered you gave him your chair. Manners always. Your work was done and bounce a quarter off turn sheet it was so tight. Demerol Morphine Valium etc came in 30 cc bottles. You did the math to figure how much med to give. We steralized bedpans all metal utensals from surgery. O2 only in huge tank we rolled to room. We traveled to Temple and Waco VA hospitals and civilian hospitals Nursing Home. We learned quickly due to shortage of nurses take more patients. By end a friend and I had 8 pts each. Most students had 6. This really helped floor nurses. We had 8 hrs day on floor. About 1/2 class passed. Those in military went to other military bases around world. Many of rest went to rurel areas then to big cities. I graduated in 78. Moved to Dallas Tx in 80. I primarily worked Oncology and Cardiac. We mixed and gave all Chemotherapy until 91 when the pharmacy’s realized they had to do this nurses were coming down with cancer. They placef fancy equipment and isolation garb on that had not previously used by nurses. Also in 80s myself and one other nurse volunteered to work with strange disease only numbers for name. Worked 12/7 until pt passed fully covered head to toe. Then tests run on us. When no infection it was called HIV and when finally admitted to hospitals know as Aides. I have nursed 39 yrs and now in Hospice. I love every minute of it. I believe we all have gifts. One in particular. You have to ask and decide what yours is. Ask the Lord to give you Wisdom and Dicernment. HE will.:wink:

Puerto Rico 1978 since been working is the only job I ever had

I don’t feel like you can learn real nursing in college. The actual med/surg floor is where you really put the skill you learned into action. Then both were able to come together. In college I learned all of the knowledge to back up what I learned in school. That is what makes the difference between an RN and an RN with a BSN. The two year programs seem to get more floor time. I know many nurses that have gone for their RN license and they have much more time on the floors then we did. I went to Syracuse University/ Utica for four years.

In today’s world learning aspects are quite different we have more choices, easy ways to learn things. I like the practical aspect of learning where you get the first hand exposure to learn things closely.

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook