Nurses Eat Their Young - Need Help

Working on a school Project.
I am wondering if there are any NURSES out there that have been BULLIED or HARASSED at work by coworkers or patients that would be willing to share their story? I’m working on a project for my last semester of Nursing school. ONLY THE STORY WILL BE SHARED WITH MY CLASS. NO NAMES OR FACILITIES!
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Hello Crystalkin, I am sorry to hear that you have been bullied at school. I have not been bullied at work but there are times where I have been victimized and mistreated while interacting with others. One of the most recent experiences with bullying has been on social media nursing forums. I have been ostracized and berated despite my meekness and professionalism. In order to be a great nurse or a great individual as a whole, you must turn the other cheek and continue to be mature. If you are being targeted in excess, it may be a good idea to contact a supervisor. If possible, stay away from those negative people. I wish you the best and I hope that you use those past experiences to help build yourself into a stronger and wise nurse.

Sincerely,

HourGlassFrameNurse

Hi Crystal. I was just reading an article in Nurse.org of a beautiful nurse, mother and fiancé in the UK who committed suicide (Aug 2018) due to workplace bullying. Unfortunately this is a topic becoming all too familiar within the nursing sector.

Honestly, it makes me sick to hear of such a horrendous death of any person but particularly one who is a part of the largest health care profession. Nursing is a unique beloved profession and we MUST put an end to Nurses bullying other nurses for whatever the reason. There should NEVER be a reason- period, plain and simple.

I am a seasoned nurse of 20+ years and dealt with subtle workplace bullying very early in my hospital career. Personally the difference as to why the issue never escalated is because my character has always been such where I defend myself when deemed necessary. Even then, I spoke up and used an assertive and confident voice expressing its inappropriateness and unprofessional tactic. I do realize this is not always the case for all nurses so several steps should be taken to address the issue.

First, speak in confidence to the manager, supervisor or next superior about what is happening. Nurses must start using reversed verbal responses, cognitive rehearsal, de-escalation strategies, form group discussions surrounding the topic, to address and stop acts of bullying against them. In addition, I believe bullying educational programs should begin in nursing schools. Thus, the seed has already been planted in the minds of our novice nurses when or if the disposable act arises in the workplace.

Without such steps of intervention, bullying will only continue to be passed down from one generation of nurses to the next.

Nursing to the outside world is typically thought of as a caring, compassionate, empathetic and loving profession. Nurses need to exhibit the same towards one another- no exceptions ever!

LSCW

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook