How do you feel about encountering death/end-of-life care in practice? Are you prepared?

Here’s our first question of the week. Please answer and/or share with your friends in the field so that we can provide help to nurses everywhere.

New Feature: Question of the Week

I’ve provided in-home care to persons diagnosed as being terminally ill who were both family members and close friends.
Working in Long Term Care facilities I have also provided end of life care to those whom were terminally ill.
In all instances I worked closely with Hospice and can’t say how wonderful this program is!
My experiences have made it possible for me to determine when a person is getting close to their time and I will notify family so that they can be with their loved one. It is said that the last of the senses to go is hearing so when providing care I will speak to them even if they aren’t capable of responding.
It makes me feel good knowing that I was able to keep these people comfortable and free of pain up until the time they leave us!

I AM READY FOR END OF LIFE PRACTICE. I HAVE BEEN IN NURSING A LONG TIME, AND, TO SEE PEOPLE SUFFER WITH TERMINAL ILLNESS IS HEARTBREAKING. TO SEE WHAT IT DOES TO THE FAMILIES IS HORRIBLE. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, PEOPLE KNOW WHEN IT IS THEIR TIME AND THEY LET YOU KNOW IT. I HAVE SAT WITH PATIENTS WHO WERE DYING INCLUDING MY FATHER AND OLDER SISTER AND WANTED THE END TO COME SO SOON THAT THEY WOULD BE OUT OF PAIN AND SOMEWHERE IN A PEACEFUL PLACE. THE DOCS AND FAMILIES WHO WANT TO DO EVERYTHING TO SAVE SOMEONE NEED TO TALK IT OUT AND THEN LET IT GO. IT IS NEVER EASY, BUT, THE PERSON YOU ARE ALLOWING TO LEAVE WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL THAT YOU DID. I TRULY BELIEVE THIS. :cry:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :slight_smile:

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook