Has anyone else felt like this?

I have been a nurse more than 17 years and was a CNA for 3.5 years before that. Just in the last few months, I have been thinking that I don’t want to do this anymore. I put off the negative thoughts that have bothered me for years. Finally I’m starting to think about everything that I don’t like. I can’t stand the poor staffing/being overworked, management, how insurance and to some extent the pharmaceutical industry controls what we do. I can’t stand that we don’t have time to truly take care of the patients. We are forced to do more and more. I see more instances of nurses being abused verbally by patients. My current job also makes it harder to like nursing because it’s like being in high school with the cliques you have. On top of all that, after this many years, I don’t know nearly as much as I should know. I can’t even remember basic anatomy and physiology. I’m anxious every day I’m at work that I don’t know anything or that I’ll make a mistake. When I have to return to work for 2 or 3 days, I have stomach issues and have noticed an increase in acid reflux. The only thing I can think of that I like anymore is the 1:1 interactions with the people I take care of. I love talking to people but I also don’t like all the people, activities, sounds and lights. I can shut down when it becomes too much. I’ve worked large and small hospitals, home health and even a meat packing plant. So after saying all that, I’m hoping to see if others are in a similar situation or just have some advice? I greatly appreciate any thoughts you can give.

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook