DNP vs EdD for Nurse Educator

I have taught at a University for the past 5 years. I teach in the prelicensure BSN program. I teach at a large University with a top 10 ranked nursing program. They are pushing me to get a terminal degree.

I came up with two options:
*DNP - 2 years, not overly hard, but not directly relevant to being a nurse educator. would be from a small school nobody has heard of because not many admit nurses who aren’t APRNs.
*EdD - 4 to 5 years, program is a nurse educator specialty. would be from Columbia University – very well known and reputable. education would be directly relevant to my career. would include research classes (similar to a PhD), i would have to pass candidacy, and do a dissertation. would get most of it paid for.

On paper, you would think DUH - do the EdD! However, I have a full-time job, 2 kids, and we’ll be having a 3rd. The EdD is a lot more time and work. And here’s the kicker – since I work at a huge University that does a ton of research, they only care about a PhD. They couldn’t care less about a DNP vs EdD and it wouldn’t enhance my career more. Obviously I would feel better about it, but is that worth double the time and work for my job to not care?

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook