Best nursing job ever!

I have been an LPN for 31 years and love it. A little background: 23 years ER nursing along with 10 years as Paramedic mixed with ER. Floor and pediatric nursing in the beginning of my career. Five years as a deputy coroner…very interesting job. But,the job I have now and for the past 3 years feels more like play time than work. I take care of medically fragile children in their homes.
The little boy I care for now is 8 years old, has a trach, a GJ tube. He was born with 2 chromosomal defects, is unable to talk, but make multiple sounds, eats a little by mouth, goes to school (half days) 4 days a week. He has the best personality, always happy, and the biggest, best smile ever. He just melts my heart as does his family. His dad is military and they are moving in the next 2 months-9 hours away. My heart is breaking as he and his family have become part of my family. I will be taking time off and helping them move and train nurses with another Pediatric home company.
It breaks my heart to know I will not get to care for him, or have him wake up 5 days a week with a big smile on his face once he sees me there.
It has been nothing but pure joy caring for this little boy. I will him his so.
Jan

Sounds like my favorite only at the other age extreme. There is nothing better than caring for the elderly. They have so much to offer and genuinely appreciate the care you provide. Even the elderly with dementia can be entertaining and responsive. Home care is the best!!!

I love my job! I work in an office and feel like I matter. After 27 years in a hospital I felt like I didn’t matter and my work was not appreciated. After years of a lot of hospital politics I am glad to be in a new environment and even through it was scary to change after all those years. It was the best thing ever. I have a new appreciation for the office nurse. All nurses should be rewarded for the work they do!

Nurses should enjoy their work…it shouldn’t be a drudge! Perhaps the heavy toll it takes on our (aging) bodies contributes.

I am posting on behalf of my wonderful wife. We met in the fire and rescue service in 1986. Our children grew up at the firehouse. We moved from Potomac, MD to Tucson in 1990 and she was a nurse manager at UMC, level 1 trauma for 13 years, a hospice nurse for 4 years, behavioral health for 3 and FINALLY she is a stay at home phone triage nurse for a great local medical center. No more commute, lifting patients, coming home late, etc. I finally have my wife back. The young nurses she trained with were all quick with the Windows computer end of things, but there is no substitute for field experience. She handles 911 issues like a firefighter/EMT, trauma and disease like an ER nurse and uses her behavioral health background to take care of all the emotion and drama that people in need require. I am so proud of her. Don’t tell her I posted this!!!

I’m bias, I have a back ground in ER ICU and critical care. But my path lead me to dialysis. I have been working with my company 5 years now and I LOVE what I do. There is nothing better. Yes, the excitement of the above keep me busy, Dialysis keeps me motivated. I work closely with my staff and my patients to provide the kind of care I would want for my own family. I care for these guys with all I have, I think that’s what fills my cup each day.

I started working as an RN case manager about five years ago, working with level three AIDS patients. I find great satisfaction in helping to make life a little easier for my patients who live with this terrible virus.

Having worked in multiple settings including hospital, clinic, hospice, and home health, I have to say that my favorite settings have been home health and hospice. There’s great satisfaction in knowing that you are meeting physical and emotional needs for both patient and family that only a nurse can, the fact that you get to be OUTSIDE part of the day, and the flexibility of the position, make these my faves.

I love hearing stories of nurses who love their work! I love nursing. I went into nursing 24 years ago and am an RN. ICU, Stepdown, Ortho, have owned my own company doing CM/UR for self-funded insurance programs, have down ER Case Management, and then Agency work, Inpatient and Home Hospice, and now Home Care. LOVE IT ALL!!!

I fully agree! Home Hospice and Home Care itself lend themselves to autonomy, allow you to be the kind of nurse you want to be, and you can’t beat the flexibility not only with hours of work per week, but also with the number of cases you follow! I love using my extensive assessment skills to assist patients in staying at home in their optimal level of health and preventing acute inpatient hospitalizations, all just by realizing when that patient needs to be seen by his/her doctor and making a call to update their provider. Hospice is a truly rewarding feild, but can be all-encompassing of your own emotional, physical, and psychological states. I no longer have the stamina for home hospice … I wish I did. Now I’m a Home Health Nurse, and love this type of work as well. I’m so inspired by your post, MommyLorelei.

I work at a hospital that pays at the middle of the road wages, but I work at one of the top 5 pediatric hospitals in the world. I work with people who love what we’re doing, not just the paycheck. It’s a great place to be, and my managers are amazing! We are a family, and we embrace the new baby nurses. It’s awesome to work with the best.

I’ve been an Oncology nurse for almost 10 years now. I kind of fell into this profession, but I absolutely love it. I work in an outpatient facility, and I get asked, “Isn’t that a sad field?” all the time. Working with Patients with Cancer can be sad at times, but when someone beats the Cancer, it makes up for all the sad times that we come across.

I feel the best nursing job is being in the IV infusion field. All patients are ready to leave the hospital the day they are admitted and if the patient is on IV medication they can now do it at home if possible. I enjoy going to their home and teaching them how to give their IV medications and following up with them weekly. It allows them to be in the comfort of their own home and not having to deal with a different nurse daily.

I worked as an Industrial Nurse for a fortune 500 company and loved it!
I had my own office and worked mainly at my own pace. I loved the respect and responsibility that came with the job, not to mention no holidays or weekends! Unfortunately I had to resign due to some family issues. I am hoping to be able to get a job at our local clinic in the near future but don’t think the pay and benefits will ever add up to the Industrial Nurse job! I highly recommend this field to anyone that has the opportunity!’

I am a hospice nurse and I LOVE it!! This is what my whole life has been preparing me to be. I’ve done many different kinds of nursing but hospice is where my heart is. I’m grateful to work for a wonderful company that appreciates their nurses and treats us well. I work with fantastic people and find a fulfillment that I’ve never found anywhere else. Life is good!!!

I am so glad to hear this excitement for hospice nursing! I would like to ask if you feel hospice is an acceptable position for a new nurse or if other prior experience would serve me better?
Thanks
RDavis

I am an OR nurse and it is the best job I have ever had. I have a background of SICU, PICU, PACU and float team experience.

Actually I would recommend working in a hospital setting for at least a couple of years if you are a new nurse…the things you will learn there are invaluable to the rest of your career! Most hospices around here require at least one year of hospital experience or other pertinent experience before applying anyway. And while hospice is an awesome and very rewarding job, I must tell you that burnout will sneak up on you if you are not careful. Best wishes for your career :smile:

So far the best nursing job I have had has been a Visiting Nurse. The fact that I could go into someones’s home and make a differencde is awesome. Moving around daily, never being in the same place all day. Meeting new people, seeing how other people live (very humbling experience) and it also afforded time to be at all my children’s performances, games and pick them up after school.

I have also worked with hospice patients, within a SNF, LTC, ALF, it is a truely rewarding experience.

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook