Are they 'Male Nurses' or just 'Nurses?'

What do you call nurses that happen to be male? Do you call them, “nurses?” “Male nurses?” “Murses?” What are your thoughts on the term “male nurse?”

Nurses.

‘Male nurses’ is like saying ‘black friend’ or ‘gay roommate’. The added label does not promote understanding. If anything, it only promotes positive and negative stereotypes, both of which are harmful.

‘Murses’ is the jaundiced portmanteau of the profession: murse, from man and purse, or alternatively, male and nurse. Please stop…it’s really insulting.

May I call female MD a ‘foctor’? I thought not.

Scott Baxter
http://nurseablog.com

I could see how the term “murse” could be offensive to some. I think it sounds like a derogatory term society uses for a man who enters into a women’s profession. I have heard men refer to themselves jokingly as “murses.” I think when it comes down to it, we as nurses, and in healthcare generally know and understand that male nurses not only bring their physical strength to the profession but also their varying viewpoints, outstanding ability to critically think, and help break up the mundane chatter that is common among women. The role of the bedside nurse has changed dramatically over the years. The general population still doesn’t have a great understanding of how much nurses actually do. A lot of people still think all we do is fluff pillows and empty bed pans. Once the public has a better understanding of the nursing profession in general, I think the term “murse” will fall to the wayside.

A nurse is a nurse rather they are male or female. The are required to take the same courses and have to past the same state exam. I know when your dealing with the elderly in their homes or even in nursing homes some patients or families may ask that the same sex nurse take care of them or their loved ones but they should all be given the same respect because they all have to work hard to earn the title of nurse.

I refer to nurses by name, “he” or “she” like I would would anyone else, or as nurses. Not a big fan of fad words: no “bae,” no “murse,”, etc. English provides more words than anyone could ever learn as is, and lingual fads do little to improve communication, or project professionalism. The opposite, actually.

Murse doesn’t offend me, it just seems so silly. We are focusing on gender, instead of passion, knowledge or strength. Calling a pile of horse manure a deposit to the Earth of equine residue changes little about the crap on your boots. I am a nurse, a father, husband, etc. How odd that I would combine them into murtherband… let’s work at quality of character not simply repackaging our image.

makes sense to me, :thumbsup:

A nurse is a man or woman first. You can’t take the sex out of a person because of a job. Most people would rather have a female nurse. Sorry guys but that’s a fact. I realize that there are great male nurses but the fact remains that men are men and sex will always come into play. I don’t think many men would want another man nothing him or giving him an enema and that applies to females. male nurse are going to get much more sexually aroused. Too many problems with male nurses where intimate care is needed.

Another thing 99% of all hospital rapes involve male nurses and that applies to both female and male patients…

I think, it doesn’t matter who is that male or female you can simply call them ‘nurse’ of it will be more polite to call them by name.

Google+ | Twitter | Facebook